Rice Kheer is one of the traditional Indian sweet dishes. It is very popular in all over India.
Rice Kheer / Chawal Kheer is the first sweet dish comes into Indian people’s minds when they need to celebrate any festival or perform pooja.
People of India believe it’s very auspicious to eat Rice Kheer in the month of Savan. From kids to elders, all the people love to eat this delicious sweet dish.
Different people in India know Kheer by different name.Below are couple of names of Kheer in the other languages.
- Kshir Paayasam in Sanskrit
- Paayasam Tamil
- Khir in Hindi and Punjabi
- Payasa in Kannada
- Paays in Konkani
- Payox in Assamese
- Payesh in Bengali
- Khiri in Sindhi
- The work Payasa (milk) is the source of word Paayasam.
These were couple of the facts and information about the Kheer. Let’s get to the most awesome part now. How to prepare Kheer very quickly at your home.
Snap of all the ingredients and preparation part with photos are described below,
- Wash rice in running water for 2 to 3 minutes and use thick pan to boil rice.
- Boil 1 cup of rice in 2 & 1/2 cups of water on a medium flame for ten minutes until it becomes soft. Do not overcook.
- You can also use presser cooker to boil rice for 2 to 3 whistles.
- After boiling drain out extra water from rice if it seems to be there.
- Add 2 cups of milk into rice and add sugar.
- Stir well and boil milk until it becomes thick.
- When milk starts boiling add chopped almonds, cashew nuts, pistachio and raisins and stir well to make sure that milk does not stick to the pan.
- Take saffron and add to the Kheer, this will give a nice color and delicious taste to Kheer.
- Add cardamom powder and check the consistency of Kheer. Turn the gas stove off once it becomes thick .
- After turning off the gas stove add ghee or butter in the Kheer. This will give authentic taste to the Kheer.
- Your delicious kheer is now ready to be served. Enjoy.
Hope you enjoyed the Recipe. Do browse our other recipes as well and leave your valuable feedback for us. We would love to hear all the comments from you and act accordingly for our next Recipes. Happy Cooking.?